The SACE at Garden College
The SACE Board of South Australia is an independent statutory authority of the South Australian Government. It is responsible for the accreditation of subjects, the recognition of learning and the assessment of student learning that contribute to meeting the completion requirements of the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE).
Garden College is proud to have a strong partnership with the SACE board. We are committed to working hand in hand with the board to provide our students with the best educational opportunities this state can offer. The SACE itself is an internationally recognised accreditation and is accepted at Universities around the world.
By completing the SACE, our students prepare for further learning, work, and life, by:
- building essential skills and knowledge
- making informed choices about future study and work, based on their strengths and interests
- gaining a certificate that gives them a head-start on their pathway beyond school
We have a dedicated SACE and VET Coordinator who will work for hand in hand with both students and parents to plan an educational path that will help them achieve academic success during their SACE journey.
The school is proud to offer a wide selection of SACE accredited subjects in both Stage 1 (Year 11) and Stage 2 (Year 12). Our subjects are taught by passionate and experienced teachers, with consideration to our Islamic ethos.
The SACE subjects we currently offer to our SACE students are:
- Business Innovation
- English as an Additional Language
- General Mathematics
- Information Technology Processing and Publishing
- Integrated Studies
- Media Studies
- Outdoor Education
- Religious Studies
- Research Project
- Society and Culture
Requirements of SACE
There are two stages of the SACE:
- Stage 1, which usually begins in Year 10 with the Personal Learning Plan, and continues through Year 11.
- Stage 2, which is usually undertaken in Year 12.
Each subject or course that is successfully completed earns ‘credits’ towards the SACE. Students receive a final grade from A to E for each Stage 1 subject and a final grade from A+ to E- for each Stage 2 subject.
To qualify for the SACE students must:
- complete a minimum of 200 credits
- achieve a C grade or better in Stage 1 compulsory requirements
- achieve a C- grade or better in Stage 2 mandatory requirements.
The compulsory requirements are:
- Personal Learning Plan- 10 credits at Stage 1
- literacy- at least 20 credits from a range of English subjects (Stage 1 or Stage 2)
- numeracy- at least 10 credits from a range of mathematics subjects (Stage 1 or Stage 2)
- Research Project- 10 credits at Stage 2
The remaining 90 credits can be gained through additional Stage 1 or Stage 2 subjects or Board-recognised courses of a student’s choice (such as vocational education and training (VET) or community learning).
For more information on the SACE, either visit their website: https://www.sace.sa.edu.au/
Feel free to contact the secondary campus on (08) 8285 3975 and request a meeting with our SACE Coordinator for any and all inquiries regarding the SACE at Garden College.